Saturday, April 21, 2007

Salesmen work 6 days a week

It’s a Saturday morning and as usual I have plans to get up late but no, I wake up early with a little tension in my mind. I need to go to office as a salesman work 6 days a week. Man! I guess computer engineering was a better career option as most of the IT companies are 5 days a week ones. Well, I thought to call my boss and ask if there is something important then I will come or else, the bed or an outing in the evening sounds good. So, half-heartedly I called and my boss promptly replied that yeah you have to come to office. So in the scorching Chennai heat, I decided to save a few bucks and took a bus to the office. After around 45 minutes and sweating a bucket I reached the office. As anticipated was asked to wait and then after 30 minutes of reading the same magazines over and over again (which I am reading since last Monday) I was finally seen by my boss.

What a meeting it was. I was asked to round up my findings and as I don’t know the language and don’t know the intentions of salesmen or sales officer for that sake, I was unable to find the links between my visits and how they are going to help the company. I mean, a simple thing is that if a salesman has no incentive to sell more, he won’t be going to all 40 shops and all he will do is just make fake entries, skip some shops and stock dumping at places where he has close relation with the purchase guys. I was not aware of the thing that sales officers are not company employees and they also don’t have any incentive to sell more so all they will do is to show you the side of the market that you want to see. Well, so I saw all that. And my boss pulled me up for skipping a beat. I don’t know why but I didn’t have the courage to tell him that I was not feeling well and this thing is not my cup of tea. Maybe the fact that he is from Punjab is still playing on my mind or may be he is my first boss and I fear that I don’t know how to talk to a boss. Anyways, I know this pulling up will not sink in easily and will motivate me for sure.

1 comment:

San said...

Rightly said abt 6 days working..fact whether its a 5/6 days working will be an important factor during my actual job interview..its 6 days for me too here..n b4 i know sunday swishes past b4 my eyes..i dont mind working from home on sat, but official work day is a definite dampner..dont wanna happen tht year after year..:)