Thursday, April 19, 2007

Anna Nagar- I know Chennai better now

I can’t speak the language and my direction sense is just limited to landmarks like restaurants, theatres and malls (Chennai don’t have many malls but still). So, I remember Anna Nagar for Rajasthani Dhaba though only few people can actually locate that there is a dhaba nearby. It’s more famous due to Hot Chips restaurant (selective retention thing). So there we go on a motorbike and again from shop to shop taking orders and filling DSR (daily sales report). I try my best to catch whatever I can and all I catch is that after sometime they do discuss about my project and my native place and my college (in Tamil of-course but they call Bihar as Bihar and Punjab as Punjab and Nungambakkam as Nungambakkam, thanks god). Tea time and I am offered tea (glad I don’t have to pay today due to mistaken identity) and then after half an hour I am offered cool drinks (that’s the word used in Chennai for soda/cold drinks). Some 20 shops and then we walk into a good looking place and I realize that I need lunch also. He appears to be a nice guy but I know that all this may be just one time gesture and perhaps will fade up the next time I turn up. Perhaps he doesn’t know that I am really here to spy on his activities but disguised and my company people calls it a project.

Anyways, my learning from today’s beat is that though I am coming to know the city well now, I have still a long way to go for adapting to city transportation, language and food. Though there are certain things which flow above the language but sales make sense only when you can really talk and connect to that particular small shop owner. Your salesman is the first point of contact and if he can connect well with your sales people, no doubt they will become your best representatives.